An underground storage tank system (UST) is a tank and associated underground piping with at least 10 percent of its volume underground. Environmental Cleansing Corporation’s team can provide safe decommissioning of all underground storage tanks (USTs). We practice safe decommissioning procedures for the cleaning, purging, lead abatement, demolition, and removal of elevated and underground tanks.
Most leaking underground storage tank cleanups involve the following steps:
- Removal of product from the tank, cleaning of the interior, cutting and disposal of the tank as scrap metal in accordance with local codes and recommended practices.
- Delineation of the extent of contaminated soils and the possible impact to groundwater.
- Excavation and disposal of contaminated soils surrounding the tank.
- Groundwater remediation as required.
- Sampling of remaining soils and/or groundwater to confirm that any remaining contamination is within mandated limits.
- Submission of a cleanup report to the appropriate environmental agency.